Re: Is an ARM computer a good choice? Which one?

This is a non-technical barely qualified opinion but yes.  An easy
start is a Raspberry Pi, about a 3B ($35), it's what I'm typing on.
I've got 4 of them.  And this one is running Debian, not Raspbian AKA
Raspberry Pi OS.  The differences are tiny.  Just get a monitor and
keyboard, a couple of SD cards about 32 GB or larger and a Pi.  It's
easy to download your first image and get it booted, from there you
can experiment.  Install Synaptic the package manager, after that you
search for applications and click on them to install.

There is a Raspberry Pi 4 which is considerably better but relatively
rare due to the infamous chip shortage.  I have other ARM machines too
but the Pi 3B is super reliable and straight forward.  Try a $10 Zero
for a single core version, but have fun.

--
Education is contagious.