Re: Debian installer auf Pinebook (Was: X11 modul for pinebook?)

Serial is through the headphone jack but there's a switch inside to change it from headphone to  serial.  So 10 screws or so.

On Sat, Oct 31, 2020, 1:21 PM Christian Kastner <ckk@debian.org> wrote:
On 4/22/20 7:15 PM, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
> The debian-installer concatenateable images from buster *should* work
> with *serial console*:
>
>   https://deb.debian.org/debian/dists/buster/main/installer-arm64/current/images/netboot/SD-card-images/README.concatenateable_images
>
> Getting the installer running on LCD is still a work-in-progress, but
> you *might* be able to get the text console running by editing the boot
> arguments on the boot media and passing console=tty0 and adding the
> appropriate modules to the initrd by appending an additional cpio
> archive to it... finding out exactly which modules... is a
> project. Though you could append all of the modules for the matching
> kernel version.
>
> But no, there's no image that will "just work" without some fiddling.

I found this older thread and wanted to check if there have been any
updates on this that I might have missed?

I gave the images from buster a try and the installation process ran
fine on LCD until the network interface wasn't found.

Apparently the WIFI is a RTL8723cs device and support landed in 5.9,
coincidentally the kernel in bullseye, so I gave its SD card images a
try. However, they launch to a black screen, so I assume that this still
goes out to serial?

Assuming that I figure out how to connect the serial (apparently through
the headphone jack), should installation over serial be routine, or are
there also still gotchas?

Thanks,
Christian