Re: arm64-net-install buster 10.2

Hi Paul,

On 2020.02.04 03:09, Paul Wise wrote:
Is there a plan to package edk2-platforms for Debian?

Not that I know of.

We already have
an edk2 package, but it only supports x86/ARM virtual machines. It
would be nice to have open UEFI firmware for ARM platforms available
in Debian.

You may want to ask the current edk2 package maintainer(s) if they also plan to add edk2-platforms and edk2-non-osi (both are needed to build a platform), as these repos were basically split from edk2 where they used to reside. If there is an edk2 package, it would indeed make sense to also have edk2-platforms and edk2-non-osi, though these don't tend to get formal releases the way edk2 does...

As the RPi3 [1] and RPi4 [2] build scripts we currently use show, there's actually not much to building a platform. If an edk2-platform were to be added to Debian, I would also suggest to add a couple of build scripts for some of the most popular ones, so that new users of the package have something to start with. I'll be happy to contribute those for the Pi platforms if you want, but I'm afraid I don't see myself having the scope to maintain an edk2-platforms package at this stage.

Regards,

/Pete

[1] https://github.com/pbatard/RPi3/blob/master/build_firmware.sh
[2] https://github.com/pftf/RPi4/blob/master/build_firmware.sh