Re: arm64-net-install buster 10.2

On Mon, Feb 03, 2020 at 01:50:25PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> I have no "leveerage" with raspbian. They officially have zero support
> for a realtime kernel. 4 posts to their forum in threads related, over4
> days have not elicited a reply from anyone.
>
> I have no problems building kernels on the rpi4b as I two SSD'd mounted
> on sata-usb3 cables, so a full kernel bulld is under an hour in wall
> time.  I also, because its only a 2G pi, have a 10G swap partition
> mounted, and the swapfile turned off to reduce pressure on the u-sd
> card.
>
> The pi-4b is a whole new critter worth looking at.
>
> It is supported upstream by any linux-rt kernel newer than 4.14 although
> 4.14's support for the mali gfx isn't quite fully baked until 4.19.y.

Ehm, I was pretty sure all Raspberry Pi models have broadcom videocore
graphics, and certainly not mali.

> I am actually running a
>
> Linux rpi4.coyote.den 4.19.71-rt24-v7l+ #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Thu Oct 10
> 15:22:22 EDT 2019 armv7l GNU/Linux
>
> right now, but a /boot/dts/overlays directory has apparently been removed
> from newer ones, and I'm trying to find a workaround, or make an arm64
> boot work and rebuild LinuxCNC to run on a 64 bit build. I'd settle for
> either scenario.
>
> So it would appear Len. And I'll repeat, the original 10.0 netinstall
> Just Worked, and felt dead stable, but now a 10.2 of this buster doesn't
> even try to boot.  The main diff is that there is now a pair of ssd's on
> sata adaptors plugged into the usb-3 ports with a total of 360G
> available as scratchpad workspaces.

I don't see how adding USB disks should change anything.

Did you upgrade the working 10.0 system, or did you do a new image?
Because the only think that makes sense to me is that the 10.0 image
wasn't a pure Debian image, but rather one modified enough for RPi4
operation.

> Thanks Len, for any enlightement.

I don't have a 4 (only a 2 and 3 so far).  What I have read made me
think that it simply should not work so far with Debian.  There appears
to be some unofficial modified images out that that should work.

--
Len Sorensen