Re: arm64-net-install buster 10.2

On Monday 03 February 2020 11:34:41 Nigel Sollars wrote:

> Perhaps you could leverage this from raspian,

I have no "leveerage" with raspbian. They officially have zero support
for a realtime kernel. 4 posts to their forum in threads related, over4
days have not elicited a reply from anyone.

I have no problems building kernels on the rpi4b as I two SSD'd mounted
on sata-usb3 cables, so a full kernel bulld is under an hour in wall
time.  I also, because its only a 2G pi, have a 10G swap partition
mounted, and the swapfile turned off to reduce pressure on the u-sd
card.

> https://lb.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=245908
>
> I dont have any experience with this one nor have hardware ( not a pi
> fan ).  More Pi4 SoC info came in with 5.4/5 anyhow so you would want
> something recent to get it done.

The pi-4b is a whole new critter worth looking at.
> Nige
>
> On Mon, Feb 3, 2020 at 11:00 AM Lennart Sorensen
>
> <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 03, 2020 at 10:41:17AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > Written to a 64GB card with dd, makes zero attempt to boot on
> > > rp4b.
> > >
> > > Put presently running raspbian buster 10.2 card back in, boots up
> > > normal.
> > >
> > > Suggestions?
> >
> > According to https://wiki.debian.org/RaspberryPi there is no support
> > for the Pi4 in Debian's kernel yet (after all it has to be supported
> > upstream before Debian will support it).
It is supported upstream by any linux-rt kernel newer than 4.14 although
4.14's support for the mali gfx isn't quite fully baked until 4.19.y.

I am actually running a

Linux rpi4.coyote.den 4.19.71-rt24-v7l+ #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Thu Oct 10
15:22:22 EDT 2019 armv7l GNU/Linux

right now, but a /boot/dts/overlays directory has apparently been removed
from newer ones, and I'm trying to find a workaround, or make an arm64
boot work and rebuild LinuxCNC to run on a 64 bit build. I'd settle for
either scenario.

> > Raspbian has no issues
> > with using a patched kernel with stuff that isn't supported upstream
> > yet as long as it makes Pi models work with it.
> >
> > Also the boot process for the 4 is completely different than the
> > older models as far as I know.

So it would appear Len. And I'll repeat, the original 10.0 netinstall
Just Worked, and felt dead stable, but now a 10.2 of this buster doesn't
even try to boot.  The main diff is that there is now a pair of ssd's on
sata adaptors plugged into the usb-3 ports with a total of 360G
available as scratchpad workspaces.

> > --
> > Len Sorensen

Thanks Len, for any enlightement.