Re: Rockchip RK3399 based board for server use?

On zaterdag 11 januari 2020 20:42:24 CET David Pottage wrote:
> Are there any other boards or chipsets I should be considering? I have
> not considered the RaspberryPi, because of heat issues, and because in
> older versions most of the I/O passed through the USB PHY, so file
> server performance is bad. Is that still an issue? The RaspberryPi does
> have the advantage of a wide range of cases and other accessories, good
> local availability, and a low price.

The RPi 4 is fundamentally different from their other/older boards and the
issue you mentioned is no longer applicable (afaik). Disk access will be
through the USB (3) port, so that's not ideal.
You may also want to read https://www.cnx-software.com/2019/12/01/run-raspberry-pi-4-cooler-new-firmware-easy-trick/ and be sure to check the
comments as well.

The RPi 4 is also supported by Xen (due to the different HW architecture):
https://xenproject.org/2019/12/18/whats-new-in-xen-4-13/

Personally, I'm waiting for a new board revision where the non-standard/
compliant USB-C power port is fixed and possibly/hopefully some (HW?) changes
to address the heat issue (further).

HTH