Re: Build Kernel 5.5 RC3 for Raspberry4

On Saturday 04 January 2020 11:14:17 basti wrote:

> ok Nigel,
> the tutorial on
>
> https://gist.github.com/G-UK/ee7edc4844f14fec12450b2211fc886e
>
> is working.
>
> so i have build a 4.19 kernel to boot rpi4. but this is not the
> problem. The main reason I use "real" debian system is the horrible
> kernel name schema on raspbian. that's make the task to do a remote
> kernel update on a system where only ssh access is available more to a
> game of luck then to a administrative task. especial when you need a
> initram to boot like in my case. Or even you have to write a buggy
> wrapper to fix this. In my opinion debian has find a good way for that
> problem.
>
> So i highly prefer this system/kernel and the way it boots. An other
> side effect is that it seems to have a better network stack. I used
> some rpi3 as apt cacher and with debian 64bit there is a better
> performance of the already cached files but is can also be caused on
> the 64bit. I haven't check this very much.
>
> The dtb files build with kernel 4.19 dosen't also work, when i try to
> boot my custom 5.5 kernel. Boot stop at "Run /init as init process"
> but most of the firmware errors seems to be fixed.

In that case you probably did not get them from the right place in the
built kernel tree. Look in arch/yourarch for the correct files.

> So I'am looking forward the day were there is a 5.5 branch on raspberr
> kernel source and try the vanilla/upstream debian kernel again unless
> you have an idea how to fix "Run /init as init process" as described
> above. thanks a look for your help.

I am running it right now with a custom 4.19 preempt-rt kernel over a
raspbian 10.2 (armhf) install, runs linuxcnc great.

<mailinglist@unix-solution.de> wrote:
> [...]

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis