After update to latest Stretch--boot stops

I've been running Stretch on my Olimes A20-Olinuxino Micro for several
months without issue until just a while ago.  I performed an update
through Aptitude whereupon the latest version of systemd and kernel were
updated.  After a proper shutdown and restart the boot process stalls
at the point where "Starting kernel ..." is displayed.

I allowed it to sit for several minutes wondering if an fsck was in
progress, but nothing appears to be happening (there are no drive LEDs,
so I don't have a means to know drive activity).

At the moment I am stuck as I'm unsure of how to proceed to figure out
what broke.  I have snapped a photo of the screen I can share if need
be.

TIA

- Nate

Web: http://www.n0nb.us  GPG key: D55A8819  GitHub: N0NB