Re: rpi, now no shell for an ssh login

On Tuesday 24 July 2018 14:23:33 Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

> > But I have not made it work on the pi, with or without the
> > X11UseLocalhost no (the default it says)
> > line, i get a login requestor, enter my pw, and get the login blurb,
> > but then no shell. I have not rebooted the pi, I guess thats next...
> >
> > Didn't help, I can login from here, or from the new armbian install
> > on the rock64, but I get no shell after the signed in blurb.
>
> Let's try to make some sense of this. You've got /what/ /exactly/
> running on the RPi: Raspbian Jessie?
>
> Can you log in using an attached screen/keyboard? As both GUI and text
> (i.e. in the latter case using <Ctrl><Alt><F1> to get a text login
> prompt)? Can you either login as root or do a  sudo su  or whatever?
> Does ifconfig tell you that the expected interface exists and has the
> expected address?
>
>  > And the /etc/passwd says I get /bin/bash...
>
> No it doesn't, it says that it's to use it provided that it's
> installed. Does /bin/bash exist?

yes

> Does the home directory exist (that's
> a very common problem)?

yes

Lots of other bash code just runs. And it "/bin/bash" exists/.

> Now provided that the above is OK, let's look at SSH which is what I
> /think/ you're asking about. Presumably you can ping the RPi and get a
> response back (i.e. your route is OK), what /exactly/ happens when you
> try to SSH to it? Does ssh -v throw any light on it? Can you try from
> a PC rather than your Rock64?

Same exact results logging into it from this box, a 32 bit wheezy, as
uptodate as it can be since support stopped on June 30 I think.

haven't tried the ssh -v, which machine? The output of service ssh
status, on the pi looks legit as its the log of successfull stuff from
the data there.

Since I am careing for an invalid wife, I'd better go fix us something to
eat, later Mark, and thank you.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)