Re: rock64, date is UTC, how to make EST (s/b UTC-5)

On 24/07/18 17:15, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Tuesday 24 July 2018 10:07:45 Lennart Sorensen wrote:

On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 04:21:25AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
And that works, geany now runs on the rock64 from an ssh login!!!.
Now to see if the pi can be fixed, but the second of those two
commands does not exist in /etc/ssh/sshd_config on the pi, even
commented out. And when added, results in a login with no shell
prompt. So I used another login already established to remove that
line again, but a ssh restart, logout and log back in does not get
me a shell prompt after entering the password.  So now I am locked
out of the pi due to lack of a shell. But the rock64 now gives me x
exports.

Great.  Some progress finally.

Yep, and I've made it work for an armbian install this morning too!

Big grin.

But I had a heck of a time getting a gateway to "stick" thats very
fragile. Seems there is more stuffs now required in /e/n/i.d/eth0 than
before, and no 100% reliable way to get it all started, so while its now
working, I'd have to say its fragile yet using the new way.

Extra stuff /such/ /as/? I find this

allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.1.19/24

# dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if installed

        dns-nameservers 192.168.1.1
        dns-search telemetry.co.uk

to be entirely adequate for /etc/network/interfaces on Raspbian and Debian Stretch, except possibly for the TinkerBoard I was looking at a few days ago.

But now, moving 15 feet to the pi, trying to do it on the pi, which is
running a jessie install, I've lost the shell after a login. So my
logins are useless. They echo what I type, but nothing see's the return
except the echoing linefeed.

So kind people, whats next to check?

Please describe the problem exactly. Most of us are reading this while working etc., assume our memory is limited.

Debian or Raspbian Jessie? Main console? Text? GUI? Manual or auto login? SSH? What shell? and so on.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk