Re: rock64, date is UTC, how to make EST (s/b UTC-5)

On Monday 23 July 2018 00:11:14 Alan Corey wrote:

> Yeah, this is maybe the 3rd time I've been on IRC, I guess I've given
> up trying to get it to work on my phone.  Some of it's interesting
> reading.  I'm alan01346 on there.
>
> Page 8, "Fig. 1-1 RK805 One Battery Cell Application" is what I meant.
> I suppose it's possible it works but most people don't use it so it
> isn't well documented.  Even in fig 1-1 I can't tell where the battery
> is.
>
> It has a sleep mode and an alarm.  Page 19 (by xpdf) shows registers
> for seconds, minutes, hours, etc.  More on page 21-26.
>
> I searched the IRC for battery and found:
>
> 26/12/17 01:37
> <tl_lim> I can provide circuit how to add 3V battery power to existing
> schematic for RTC power
> 28/02/18 21:23
> <Xalius> the white connector is for the RTC battery

I would assume this battery is for a ups like function.

And I just noticed something about the armbian release of stretch
available on the pine site.  The initial login is as root, meaning one
can probably addusr his own named account as user 1000.  This would
solve several problems I believe, so I have that image coming in now,
and if I have time later today I'll burn it to an sd card and give it a
shot. It can't be any worse of a C.F. than the ayufan builds with its
pre-allocated user 1000. Probably defaults to dhcpd for a networking
hookup, and I do have a 2 machine wide server setup in dd-wrt that I can
edit to give it the same address because dd-wrt can bind the address it
hands out to the M.A.C. address of the interface asking for a lease.

In the FWIW dept, I am not powering it thru the coax plug, but tied
directly to the 5v and ground on the headers. Reason? I wasn't sure the
plug I had available to hook up a 5 amp supply was of the correct
polarity. I may verify that with an ohmmeter as the current method looks
like shade tree engineering and could short if miss-handled.

> Maybe it used to be there, maybe the Pine64 has one, I don't know.
> Not sure what I'd use it for, power consumption seems too high for a
> portable.  But if it's got a clock it makes sense it should have a
> battery connector.

More than likely a much bigger, rechargeable battery like the pinebook
would use.

> On 7/22/18, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> > On Sunday 22 July 2018 18:58:44 Alan Corey wrote:
> >> Don't really know, on a quick glance I'm not sure where to connect
> >> the battery.  But it has a 32 KHz oscillator.  The RK805 I think is
> >> a chip on the board, has a clock and several bucks in it.  The
> >> Rock64 schematic shows it as a power distribution block.
> >>
> >> From
> >> http://files.pine64.org/doc/rock64/Rockchip_RK805_Datasheet_V1.1%C2
> >>%A0 20160921.pdf
> >
> > I do not see anything there that says battery.  And I just checked
> > the printouts for both bus connectors, no battery called out. That
> > 32khz crystal is I have to assume, there for clocking the sequencing
> > of system power for shut down and bootup. Never used off chip from
> > what I can see.
> >
> >> Looks like it expects 2.8 - 3.5 volts so not a lithium battery.
> >> Not sure if it tries to charge it or not.
> >>
> >> You know about their IRC, right?
> >>
> >> http://uk.pine64.xyz:9090/?channels=Pine64&uio=MTE9MjE131
> >
> > Yes, I hit that at least daily. I'm the gene83 there.
> >
> >> Strange URL, there are pine64 and rock64 channels in there.
> >
> > Apparently their own irc server.
> >
> > Thanks Alan.
> >
> > --
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett