Re: rock64, date is UTC, how to make EST (s/b UTC-5)

On Sunday 22 July 2018 14:58:33 Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

> On 22/07/18 15:15, Gene Heskett wrote:

> >> The traditional command for that was tzconfig, but these days it
> >> will tell you to run dpkg-reconfigure something...
> >>
> >> WARNING: the tzconfig command is deprecated, please use:
> >>    dpkg-reconfigure tzdata
> >
> > Worked a treat, thank you.
>
> It's regrettable that dpkg-reconfigure doesn't have something like a
> --list command which summarises the packages to which it may be
> applied, or even a --search which works by analogy with apt-cache etc.

And if my well aged wet ram is to be trusted, it used to do a lot more
than it is now, only setting two items in the locales now.  Or its been
stripped to do the bare minimum on a rock64/arm64. Dunno which, but its
a dissapointment, just like the networking is broken in that it cannot
apply a gateway to a static setup without doing a separate command with
route once its booted. Putting the gateway address into /e/n/i.d/eth0 is
simply ignored. I even moved it to /e/n/i, no effect. Yesterday I tried
changing the static address, took 3 powerdown reboots to actually get
that to take, and 2 reboots to restore the original which was easier
than editing every /e/hosts file on my local network. A networking
restart totally ignores anything you do in /e/n/i.  Sounds crazy and
impossible, but thats how it works here. Depressing is what it is....

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)