Re: Cautionary tale: how to kill an SDCard with one simple command

On 21/07/18 19:45, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Saturday 21 July 2018 14:58:35 grumpy@manlymail.net wrote:

take a look at
https://odroidinc.com/products/odroid-xu4

I have one, bricked, it has a uefi bios and at the time, the linux
installer had no clue how to deal with it. The only option I could find
in the bios was to disable the tcp chip, which bricked it, and a jtag
programmer and adapter worth more than the odroid is required to restore
it. This is NOT mentioned ANYPLACE is the sales propaganda on their site
or in this link. Had they not been drinking the windows koolaid, it
might have been able to do my job, but AFAIAC, they sold me the s.o.b.
under false pretenses. That bios according to  US law, is sick bird as
there is supposed to be a way it can be turned off, but there is not.

We've got an ODroid. The impression I got was that the hardware was fairly well done, but that the distro that came with it (some variant of Ubuntu) rather less so... the usual things about missing dependencies which can make things very flaky (e.g. autoremove broke X11 beyond repair).

My recollection of the UEFI situation is that Intel et al. made "Secure Boot" optional on PCs but mandatory on ARM systems that had UEFI.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk