Re: Cautionary tale: how to kill an SDCard with one simple command

On Saturday 21 July 2018 07:46:38 Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

> I wanted to do a bit of low-level maintenance yesterday evening on a
> TinkerBoard (Rockchip RK3288) running Stretch, so as an old PC hand I
> ran  telinit 1  At that point the SDCard became a boat anchor.
>
> Now I'm obviously not entirely sure about this, and it /could/ be an
> unfortunate coincidence. But unless absolutely sure, it might be a
> hack best avoided.

I've used 'ssh -Y user@hostname' for that telnet connection for ages, and
cannot recall toasting an SD card doing it. I also use an sshfs mount
for moving stuff around. It seems to work for me with a lot less hassle
than an nfsv4 mount ever has. ymmv of course.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)