Re: Debian Jessie on QNAP TS-112P - Reboot instead of shutdown

On Sat, Apr 9, 2016 at 4:54 AM, Helge Wiemann <helge.wiemann@gmx.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I think the issue is known bug in the current Kirkwood kernel, hence I don't
> want to dwell on the subject. I upgraded to Debian Jessie recently on my QNP
> TS-112P and ever since I have been unable to shutdown my system, because it
> restarts rather than turns itself off when I issue "shutdown -h now" or
> "poweroff".

there's recent fix for shutdown/reboot on QNAP:
- https://bugs.debian.org/807696
- https://bugs.debian.org/810680

So probably a kernel upgrade can help you resolve the issue.

> Since I don't want to wait for a kernel update I was wondering if I can
> install this kernel image:
>
> linux-image-4.3.0-0.bpo.1-kirkwood (4.3.5-1~bpo8+1)
>
> I found it here:
>
> https://packages.debian.org/jessie-backports/linux-image-4.3.0-0.bpo.1-kirkwood
>
> Would this fix my problem and will I be able to install it without bricking
> my system? "dkpg -i" tells me this will break flash-kernel, therefore I did
> not go ahead.

You just need to install the backport version of flash-kernel first.
- https://packages.debian.org/jessie-backports/flash-kernel

If you add backports repo to your sources.list:

  deb http://<mirror>/debian jessie-backports main

it should be as simple as "apt install"

Cheers,
--