Re: u-boot images for OpenRD

On 2016-01-11, Albert ARIBAUD wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 21:39:13 +0100, Philip Hands <phil@hands.com> wrote:
>> Martin Michlmayr <tbm@cyrius.com> writes:
>> > * Albert ARIBAUD <albert.u.boot@aribaud.net> [2016-01-01 13:58]:
>> > I see that you've re-introduced OpenRD support upstream, including
>> > support for OpenRD-Base and OpenRD-Client.
>
> Yes, I have -- and I fixed the size issue by introducing Thumb-1
> support and switching the Open-RD builds to Thumb-1 so that their size
> would fall back below the limit.

Thanks for that. I just did a quick test build with openrd_base and
openrd_ultimate, and they at least build with 2016.01-rc4, so I could
consider enabling them again...

I do recall there were some patches for openrd adding MMC support, that
weren't upstreamed yet. I don't know if they ever got mainlined:

  https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/collab-maint/u-boot.git/tree/debian/patches/openrd-mmc.diff?id=3c780c57d52fe72a619ffcb0ad80c8245f0a90bc

>> > Maybe you can help
>> > with getting OpenRD u-boot images back into Debian.
>
> I would be delighted to. What do you need me to do exactly?

It isn't perfect, but for the u-boot packages in Debian, we try to get
testers listed for each board:

  https://wiki.debian.org/U-boot

That gives us a go-to person when board-specific problems arise, and
ideally they also test new versions when uploaded.

>> > Rick Thomas has an OpenRD-Base and is keen to test it.  Philip Hands
>> > may have a OpenRD-Ultimate somewhere.  (It seems Rick has an
>> > Ultimate, too.)
>>
>> I do have an OpenRD-Ultimate, and I'm happy and interested to ensure
>> that Debian continues to work on it, so if you want me to test things,
>> just tell me what.

Since they're building again in mainline, and we've got a few people
interested in them, if someone can go through the trouble to file a
wishlist bug on u-boot asking to enable them (and list themselves as a
tester), I'll happily re-enable them on the next upload.

live well,
  vagrant