Re: XZ compression for the initramfs

On Thu, 2015-12-31 at 10:50 -0800, Martin Michlmayr wrote:

> [...]
> CONFIG_RD_XZ is enabled at least in jessie and stretch.
>
> Any objections/feedback?

Given the above I wonder if we should consider making XZ the default in
initramfs-tools, if CONFIG_RD_XZ was enabled in Wheezy I'd say this was
a no-brainer, but Jessie was the first one.

So the blocker would be whether we want to try and best-effort support
Wheezy kernels with Stretch+ userspace. I think we probably don't.

Ian.