Re: Kirkwood / Qnap HS-210, kernel 3.16->4.2/ udev 215->227 upgrade issue

On Mon, Nov 09, 2015 at 03:38:27PM +1300, mw@wiimail.com wrote:
> [...]
> Today I ran the first dist-upgrade after such long time,
> and that brought in kernel 4.2+68 and udev 227-2.
>
> But now it is no longer bringing up the network interface on boot ups,
> so I can't ssh in anymore.
>
> I am not sure if the problem is the kernel not finding the usb drive, hence
> not completing boot,
> or perhaps the udev rules changes brought by the newer version screwing with
> the net config?
>
> The log files inside /var/log don't seem to get touched on boot attempts,
> so it would seem that the kernel is not finding the USB drive?
> [...]

You'll probably need a serial connection to debug this.
If you don't already have one, see:
    http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/qnap/ts-219/serial/

(I don't have a QNAP device, but I just went through a similar process
of updating a Seagate Dockstar from an old pre-DTB kernel to version 4.2.)