Re: I/O issues with writing to mtdblock devices on kirkwood

Summary of progress:

I ended up connecting using a serial cable which was invaluable as my
initrd was not working (see below)

I tried going backwards:
4.2.0 - SATA errors when flashing initrd
4.1.0 - SATA errors when flashing initrd
4.0.0 - SATA errors when flashing initrd
3.16 - No SATA errors when updating initrd - the kernel is flashed using
dtb but how do I tell if it is used?

it didn't help that somewhere along the line udev/initramfs/systemd is
broken so that I had to remove all the UUID values from my fstab and go
back to device names.