Re: Modifying kernel bootargs

On Thu, 2015-09-03 at 18:00 +0200, JM wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I can't seem to figure out how to pass kernel parameters using flash
> -kernel. This is with flash-kernel 3.45 and linux-image-kirkwood 4.1.0-2
> from testing on QNAP TS-212P.
>
> I edit the LINUX_KERNEL_CMDLINE in /etc/default/flash-kernel, rebuild the
> kernel and initramfs image, reflash and... nothing. The command line in
> dmesg remains unchanged.
>
> Does this require some specific uboot version? Platform support? Is this
> currently working for other people?

It needs platform support, specifically it only works with systems which
boot via the /boot/boot.scr mechanism.

On a QNAP system the command line is in the firmware I'm afraid. If you
have serial you can fiddle it from the u-boot prompt (I expect, I've not
actually tried on this platform).

Depending what your goal is you might be able to fiddle it in the initramfs
without actually changing the cmdline, like /usr/share/initramfs
-tools/hooks/flash_kernel_set_root does for the root filesystem. That's
very dependent on what you are trying to go.

Ian.