Re: LaCie NAS support in Debian

On Wed, Jun 03, 2015 at 01:34:40PM -0400, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> Hi Simon,

Hello Martin,

Sorry for the delay.

> You added support for various LaCie NAS devices in Debian some time
> ago, including flash-kernel and the installer.  I wanted to ask the
> status of this.

The status is that I am terribly late.

First, I need to update Linux support for LaCie/Seagate NAS. There
are some boards which are still not supported by Linux.

And after that, I will take a look at the Debian support. Again, a lot
of board are not supported. And supported boards are probably not in a
great shape...

> I just added a patch to append device tree blobs to the kernel, which
> is required for the kernel in stretch:
> http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/d-i/debian-installer.git/commit/?id=5d5ea2ebbb7e394735de5e667c4a7c3d548db41f
>
> However, if I remember correctly, the LaCie devices are not supported
> in oldsys-preseed (not even as default DHCP), so users still need a
> serial console.

On lacie-nas.org, we have a wiki page explaining how to install Debian
on a LaCie NAS: http://lacie-nas.org/doku.php?id=debian_install

Preseeding is documented as well:
http://lacie-nas.org/doku.php?id=debian_install#prepare_network-console_files

I know it is not ideal but people are able to install Debian on their
NAS by following this steps.

> In Debian jessie, several devices have been converted to DT (but not
> all) but the installer doesn't supply the DTB, so they are broken.
> Should we fix this in jessie or remove LaCie images, or just leave it
> as it works on some devices?

Definitively we should fix it. How can I help ?

> I don't know if there are any users of Debian on LaCie since support
> isn't documented afaik.

Among the years I have helped some people to install Debian on their
LaCie NAS. Thus, I know for sure there are few users out here.

Thanks for taking time to write me.

Simon