Re: Help with the arm64 and ppc64el installation-guides needed

Maybe - last time I tried - I mistyped the login - because login from console is working for both - thanks for the reply.

re: root login on sshd - guess I need to read more carefully. I know about the cipher changes starting with OpenSSH 6.7, but had not yet stumbled on anything extra blocking root login.

My apologies for a false statement! Must test again and again (so I will have to reload ubuntu, opensles and fedora to see which ones of those refuse root login at console. If both are blocked (with the newer openssh) may make some maintenance work difficult.

Further - any interest in a different (in what way please) story on installing debian on PowerVM enabled systems?

On Sat, May 2, 2015 at 2:16 PM, Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:
On Sat, 2015-05-02 at 11:15 +0200, Michael Felt wrote:
[...]

> BTW: I notice a slight difference in how 'login as root' works between
> wheezy and jessie. On both systems I have enabled 'root login' for my
> initial tests. With wheezy I cannot login as root on the console, but
> can login using ssh. On Jessie this is the reverse. I assume this is
> deliberate.
[...]

The ssh part: yes, and that's documented in the release notes:
<https://www.debian.org/releases/jessie/powerpc/release-notes/ch-information.en.html#openssh>.

The console part: I don't think so; this is probably a bug in wheezy.
The last time I had that sort of problem, it was due to an omission from
the file /etc/securetty (list of devices that root may log in through).
But in wheezy that file does include hvc0.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Q.  Which is the greater problem in the world today, ignorance or apathy?