u-boot split for many targets

On 2014-09-08 04:26:48 -0500, Ian Campbell wrote:
> Ideally we would build FEL variants for all sunxi boards, but we don't
> have _FEL defconfigs for everything upstream. Hans (my co-custodian)
> rightly doesn't want to duplicate every defconfig twice.
>
> At the weekend I was playing with the two attached patches which build a
> FEL variant for every sunxi board.

Not every sunxi board actually supports FEL, does it? or at least, some
may be missing buttons to enable and such?

> I think Vagrant is correct that we should also be looking to split the
> sunxi stuff (which has a bazzilion variants it seems) into a different
> package. The required debian/rules changes for that might also provide a
> better hook for enabling FEL variations than what I've done above. I'm
> thinking along the lines of an extra column in debian/targets which is
> either "-" or a package name suffix ("sunxi").

I'm wondering if u-boot shouldn't just take advantage of executable
debhelper files or arch-specific debhelper files and simplify
debian/rules considerably...

It still gets into issues of which targets to build for which platforms,
although I think it's neelessly shipping some targets in the binaries,
when they are merely targets used to generate the SPL/MLO files...

I'll give it a whirl.

live well,
  vagrant