Re: QNAP 219 P II, Luks, Debian

On Sun, 2014-08-31 at 22:16 +0100, Tim Fletcher wrote:

> > I think the root= here will be overridden by the flash-kernel hook
> in
> > the initrd (the script I pointed to earlier). A better bet might be
> > hack that to override the root to /dev/VG01/root or to fiddle the
> > flash-kernel option which makes it do that
> > (Bootloader-sets-Incorrect-Root on Jessie, something else on Wheezy
> > which I can't remember)
>
> Possibly, my thinking was that it wasn't been over written hence the
> boot failure.

That's possible. I think it is more likely that the hook script isn't
able to figure out what to override it with for this case and so does
nothing. Similar to #5910156.

> I'm pretty sure that even without the added complication
> of LUKS / RAID / LVM a normal debian install would fail with
> root=/dev/ram

It should work due to the initrd override, that override exists exactly
because root=/dev/ram is the default on qnap (and other) devices, and
most people don't have a console cable to mess with it.

Ian.