Re: Cubox i2ultra does not boot with Debian u-boot

On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 09:37:39AM -0700, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
> > I checked on the cubox irc channel with rabeeh:

> > [12:36] <rabeeh> _rd: i think the best way to achieve things here is -
> > [12:36] <rabeeh> 1. clone - https://github.com/SolidRun/u-boot-imx6
> > [12:36] <rabeeh> 2. compare board/solidrun of our tree with the patched debian
> > tree
> > [12:36] <rabeeh> 3. create an additional patch
> > [12:37] <rabeeh> notice that the master of https://github.com/SolidRun/u-boot-imx6 already supports ALL of CuBox-i and HummingBoard boards
> > [12:38] <rabeeh> jnettlet mentioned to me that u-boot finally accepted i.mx6
> > SPL patchset; due to that the CuBox-i and HummingBoard patches can be
> > upstreamed

> > Is the debian u-boot

> > http://sources.debian.net/src/u-boot/2014.07~rc4+dfsg1-1/debian/patches/cubox-support.diff

> The main three patches are:

>   spl-sata-support.diff
>   imx6-spl-support.diff
>   cubox-support.diff

> A brief glance at those patches suggests the other cubox-i variants should be
> supported in theory.

> > supposed to be uptodate or are there things from solid-run missing?

> They're adapted from the SolidRun u-boot-imx6 tree, but I don't think
> recent updates from SolidRun's branch have been applied.

They have not; but then, there shouldn't be anything new required in order
to support the i2ultra, since the version of the code I pulled from already
had support for all four boards.

>  It is a bit difficult, as their version is based on 2013.10-rc4, while
> Debian is following upstream with 2014.04 and 2014.07-rc4.

Yes.  If there's an incompatibility here that's not seen with the SolidRun
tree, it's probably due to an underlying difference between 2013.10 and
2014.04 that I failed to account for when forward-porting, since I only have
an i4 to test on.  None of the newer commits on the upstream branch look to
have anything to do with the i2-ultra.

> But yes, 2014.07-rc4 appears to include support for SPL on imx6, although
> the only board using it is gw_ventana.  It might be feasible to re-work
> the cubox-i patches to use the upstream support, and eventually get the
> patches upstream.

Have you tested 2014.07-rc4 on the cubox-i?  I haven't yet; I would assume
that Rainer would be using unstable rather than experimental if he's trying
to get this booting for the first time with Debian.

As for upstreaming, the patches were split the way they were in order to
facilitate such upstreaming but while I've pointed SolidRun at my work to
split the patches (and my rebasing work), I don't know that anyone's made a
serious effort at pushing these upstream yet.

  https://github.com/vorlonofportland/u-boot/tree/2014.04-SPL-SATA
  https://github.com/vorlonofportland/u-boot/tree/2014.04-imx6-SPL-support
  https://github.com/vorlonofportland/u-boot/tree/2014.04-cubox-i-support

I suppose if you've got 2014.07-rc4 in experimental now, that implies you've
forward-ported the patches and I should have a look at providing updated
branches.