Re: On a Samsung ARM Chromebook, could nv-uboot easily boot to stock linux kernels, by way of ARM-GRUB?

On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 2:57 PM, Subharo Bhikkhu
<subharo@forestsangha.net> wrote:

> Indeed.  It seems that the Utopian technological future that I was hoping for, where solid state hardware would last *even longer* than non-solid state hardware, has been replaced with a distopian present, where the solid state hardware lasts *even less long* than the non-solid state hardware that came before it,

 ah if you are referring to NAND flash, that's nothing to do with ARM
processors and more to do with cost (no moving parts, smaller
devices).  the issue with NAND is that the smaller the geometries
become (25nm, 22nm etc.) the less reliable the storage and the more we
end up relying on software and ECC.  so it's not *planned*
obsolescence!  it's down to the physics :)

 but, that _really_ has nothing to do with what type of processor is
in the device.

l.