Debian on thecus N2100

I'm tring to install debian on the Thecus N2100 using the instructions from http://www.cyrius.com/debian/iop/n2100/ however when formatting the partitions the bar goes up to 33%  (I know it can take ages for the bar to update) as expected however for some reason after a few minutes hard disk activity stops and eventually the network connection is dropped. It seems someone had a similar problem here http://blog.coldtobi.de/1_coldtobis_blog/archive/171_installing_debian_on_the_thecus_n2100_--_part_3_--_installing_debian.html . I've tried raid non raid single and dual drives, manual and guided setup and it always fails. I've also tried the ssh connection via putty and via linux terminal. I thought it was  hardware problem so bought another one with new drivers etc and still the problem exists.

Anyone got any ideas what could be going on?