Re: ARMHF - Mediaplayer software?

On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 3:48 PM, Rüdiger Leibrandt
<rleibrandt@uni-bremen.de> wrote:
> First of all:
> Thanks alot!
>
> I thought that there was a library missing or it'd be some setting i'd need or
> forgot, but, okay.
> Omxplayer does not show up in my apt-cache search output. Then again I modified
> the sources list to use my apt-cacher on my homeserver. Maybe there something
> blew up.
> That I have to pay extra to use the hardware i paid for ( buying licenses for
> the decoder to be activated ) is making me think of "defective by design"

 defective by design: yes, but it's actually mis-selling, pure and
simple.  were you advised, when you bought this product, that you
would be forced to purchase proprietary video CODECs in order to do
something as simple as watch a film?  if the answer is "no", that's
mis-selling, which is a serious criminal offense.

> and
> thus I'll take part of Luke's recommendation to heart ( buying a cubieboard
> next ), but I won't send them back. I'll just use them to replace my old NSLU
> 2. As a webserver with USB plug-drives they work nicely.
>
> I'll try to see where in Germany

 ah you're in germany - you *definitely* have 14 days, legally, in
which to return product without question and obtain a full refund.

> I can get a cubieboard.

 cubieboard [*1], hackberry [*2], hmmm, maybe cpcinc's A10 COM module
isn't what you need [*3] but i mention it for completeness.  actually
just look at the main page of the linux-sunxi community there's a ton
more [*4].  pcduino doesn't have SATA, so wouldn't suit you.  the
marsboard [*5] does.  love the way those guys can't spell :)  but,
they released schematics at least [*6]. a10-olixino doesn't look like
it's ready yet. [*7].

 overall i'd say the cubieboard is your best bet - the marsboard guys
i think they've cloned the cubieboard and haven't really engaged with
the sunxi community, whereas tom (cubieboard) has been working with
them since the early days.

> With it's SATA
> connector and its pricetag it looks most like what I want.

 yeah.  tom and his team have done really well to get that board out,
and they picked a damn good chip too.  it's getting a little long in
the tooth, but even so it's still price-performance-wise f*****g good
value, i haven't yet come across anything that has as big a community
behind it [*4] despite it being a china-based SoC.

 so, yeah, cubieboard will run debian armhf [cortex a8], the sunxi
community will be able to get you set up, there's plenty of pre-built
images, oodles of instructions... you can't go wrong with it, really.

l.

[*1] https://www.miniand.com/products/Cubieboard%20Developer%20Board
[*2] https://www.miniand.com/products/Hackberry%20A10%20Developer%20Board
[*3] http://lists.phcomp.co.uk/pipermail/arm-netbook/2013-February/006802.html