Re: NAS raid with Debian?

On Sun, 7 Apr 2013, mick wrote:

On Thu, 4 Apr 2013 11:00:13 -0500 (CDT)
kqt4at5v@gmail.com allegedly wrote:

On Thu, 4 Apr 2013, Manfred Caspari wrote:

Am 04.04.2013 02:00, schrieb Rick Thomas:

Are there any readily available, inexpensive (US$200-500), NAS
(Network Attached Storage) boxes in the 1-3TB capacity that are
capable of running Debian and NFS?

I am running Debian on a Zyxel NSA320 with 2 2TB drives using RAID 1
Cost about $110 less drives
It has been very reliable

Richard

Richard

Interesting. May I ask a few questions?

Which debian version are you running? And how did you install
(nas-central instructions? or some other source?)

Yes, installation was a snap

Is the debian installation running native or in a chroot partition
alongside the original?

Did not touch original software
OS is on the drives

What sort of network transfer speed do you get? For example, can you
stream video to more than one device simultaneously?

I have 2 drives in RAID 1 and encrypted so performance is not great
I use it for a backup server

How noisy is the box ? (I have a DNS320 for example which is /very/
noisy at times).

Not a problem

Thanks in advance.

Mick

blog: baldric.net
gpg fingerprint: FC23 3338 F664 5E66 876B  72C0 0A1F E60B 5BAD D312