Re: Does anyone recommend the Smart Book from Always Innovating

Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b <at> web.de> writes:
> Hi,
>
> I'm considering buying a Smart Book from Always Innovating [1]:

> Does anyone have one and can recommend it?

I bought a "touchbook" and it was a piece of junk, both in terms of hardware and
software.  I bought it because I wanted to support a company who were doing
free-software-friendly ARM stuff, but I regretted it.  The only useful bits were
the extra-strong magnets that came with it; I have found uses for them.

Maybe this "smartbook" device is superior in some way, but I would not give them
my money until I'd seen some good reviews.

I also have an AC100.  That has much better hardware (if you want a keyboard),
and  the available software is no worse.  I've also seen the Genesi devices and
they certainly have good build quality.

If you want a tablet then I'd investigate getting an Android tablet and
re-purposing it; I'm not up-to-date with which one is best for that.  If you
want a convertible, buy a tablet plus a bluetooth keyboard.

Cheers,  Phil.