Re: [Arm-netbook] Single-Core Cortex A9 1ghz, ECC DDR3 RAM available soon

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 3:01 PM, David Given <dg@cowlark.com> wrote:
> Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> [...]
>>  for volume units: i've spoken to the factory i'm in touch with, and
>> they've put a ballpark figure on a similar board of an astonishing
>> $35, only.  hardware only: no case, no PSU.  that's with the AMLogic
>> Cortex A9.  they must be supplying bucket-loads of tablets with the
>> AMLogic CPU, to get that kind of pricing.
>
> ...I have an AMLogic reference board on my desk right now (for my day
> job) with one of these. It's only single core, but it's a seriously fast
> box. 3D performance via the integrated Mali GPU is excellent. It's
> running Android.

 yes.  as long as you match it with decent 800mhz DDR2 RAM.  we have a
unit from another supplier that doesn't [have 800mhz RAM], and it's
surprisingly shit.  we've yet to determine what else they've done but
it's also running android, it's exactly the same CPU, so it should be
fine.

> (Incidentally, the board has SATA, USB master, USB slave, genuine
> serial, SD, mini-HDMI, ethernet, a 3.5mm jack marked YPbPr, audio out,
> and an infrared receiver; it also has headers for LCD/touch panel,
> Audio/FM, Wifi/GPS/BT, a camera, DTV decoder, and JTAG. It looks like
> it's only got 512MB RAM, though. I don't know if they're available for
> order or not.)

 that's why i'm negotiating with a hardware supplier, to convince them
to create boxes that free software developers _can_ order.

 l.