mtd errors on boot OpenRD "ultimate"

For a few seconds during the boot process on my OpenRD "ultimate", running Debian Squeeze, I get hundreds of messages in syslog like this:

Buffer I/O error on device mtdblock0, logical block 0
Buffer I/O error on device mtdblock0, logical block 8
end_request: I/O error, dev mtdblock0, sector 0
end_request: I/O error, dev mtdblock0, sector 128
end_request: I/O error, dev mtdblock0, sector 16
end_request: I/O error, dev mtdblock0, sector 64
end_request: I/O error, dev mtdblock0, sector 8
loop: module loaded
uncorrectable error :

Does anybody know what causes them? Is there anything I can (or should) do about them?

Thanks!

Rick