nslu2 boot without ethernet problem

I have an nslu2 with a 3g modem attached which auto dials on boot however if I boot with the ethernet cable detatched it doesn't dial nor does the slug boot properly (the status light blick orange/green). If I then plug in the lan cable the status light goes to solid green and I can login via ssh. I assume the os is halting on the lan configuration bit, any ideas on how I get round this?

dmesg shows

eth0: link down
NET: Registered protocol family 10
lo: Disabled Privacy Extensions
ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0xCDE1
ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready

interface file shows

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback