Iomega Iconnect

Hi all,
i'm trying to customize my new Iomega Iconnect (Marvell 6281 processor, Debian Kirkwood 2.6.30.9) in order to extend its own features.
I'd like to obtain a test environment bootable on a usb drive, creating and/or mounting a Debian image on it and then chroot in to it, so i can use apt-get to obtain lenny packages.
Is that possible without modifying/reflashing any Iconnect boot partitions?
How can i obtain a Kirkwood 2.6.30.9 sources, so i can try to cross compile it on my linux server?
Thank you very much in advance.

Ciao,
Luca