Re: [Qnap TS-210] don't boot anymore

* Sylvain L. Sauvage <Sylvain.L.Sauvage@free.fr> [2010-10-09 13:24]:
> mount: mounting /dev/sda2 on /root failed: No such device
>
> /dev/sda2 is a part of /dev/md1 (which is /).
> It should be /dev/md1.

At the moment, flash-kernel will use /dev/sda2 as root when the root
device specified in /etc/fstab doesn't exist.

> This time, I didn't close the installer without verifying the
> installation logs (yes, it seems I can learn):
>
> Oct  8 22:17:48 in-target: UUID 2c064f75-5ef4-4390-9993-977a697aca49 doesn't exist in
> /dev/disk/by-uuid
> Oct  8 22:17:48 in-target: Warning: /etc/fstab parse error; guessing that the root device is
> /dev/sda2
>
> And that's true: only md0's UUID appears in /dev/disk/by-uuid.

I've had two similar reports in the meantime.  I do all my tests with
one RAID device and all failure reports had more than one RAID so I'm
wondering if the UUID links in /dev/ are only created for the first
RAID device.  I'll test this when I get some time.

In any case, I'll upload a new flash-kernel package that no longer
sets the root device to /dev/sda2 when the specified root device
doesn't exist since this seems to do more damage than good.

--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/