Re: ss4000-e Install how to set up so it boots

JFS,
Here is a vid on what I am doing exactly. Thanks for all your help so far.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Op0AUJDpQQ

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 9:07 PM, Jose Solorio <elitoh@gmail.com> wrote:
At the end of the installation installation its ask's me if I want to reboot or if I want to go back. I guess its my fault for using two different instructions. I followed the instruction from this vid tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEgVSlLXw5g . After getting to a certain part I continued reading he instructions on the debian site. Initially what I had done when the nas was still working with Ipstor was 1. load the firmware ss4000e.pkg from the debian site. 2. load ramdisk.gz and zImage from debian site via ymodem. 3. run the exec -c line from the install documentation. 4. Run and complete installation and reboot.

After I reboot, this is what I get:

+No network interfaces found

EM-7210 ver.T04 2005-12-12 (For ver.AA)
== Executing boot script in 1.000 seconds - enter ^C to abort
RedBoot> load ramdisk.gz
Using default protocol (TFTP)
Can't load 'ramdisk.gz': invalid parameter
RedBoot> load zImage
Using default protocol (TFTP)
Can't load 'zImage': invalid parameter
RedBoot> exec
Base address unknown - use "-b" option
RedBoot>

When I ctrl+c into the nas and type fconfig boot_script_data this is what i get:

+No network interfaces found

EM-7210 ver.T04 2005-12-12 (For ver.AA)
== Executing boot script in 1.000 seconds - enter ^C to abort
^C
RedBoot> fconfig boot_script_data
boot_script_data:
.. load ramdisk.gz
.. load zImage
.. exec
Enter script, terminate with empty line

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 7:23 AM, JF Straeten <jfstraeten@scarlet.be> wrote:

Re,

On Sat, Nov 06, 2010 at 01:26:02AM -0700, Jose Solorio wrote:

> Yes, I think I followed the instructions pretty good. When
> installation is finishing up I do get "Flashing kernel/initrd...".
> In my latest attempt I was successful installing but after reboot I
> got the can't load ramdisk.gz and zImage because it couldn't via
> tftp.

Just to be sure I understand right : the nas should (re)boot alone and
you are not supposed to do anything, right ?

If it can't boot in these conditions, I suspect a wrong
boot_script_data content, but if the installer went correctly, you
should have the right file there...

> I didn't use tftp to load. Here's what I do to install.

> at boot
> i hit ctrl + c
> at Redboot> prompt I type fconfig boot_script_data
> then type in:
> Load ramdisk.gz
> Load zImage.gz
> exec  and then hit enter and write to flash
> then I load teh files as directed via ymodem and then run the exec -c
> "console=ttyS0........."

Where do you see the need for writing boot_script_data yourself in the
instructions here
http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.armel/ch05s01.html ?

Could you report what you have now in boot_script_data ?

A+

--

JFS.

Jose Solorio