Re: Debian installer on Qnap TS-419P

* Benoît Knecht <benoit.knecht@fsfe.org> [2010-10-01 22:48]:
> I just wanted to report success on using the debian installer on a
> Qnap TS-419P.  Martin's instructions [1] still recommend a manual
> installation

Thanks for the confirmation that the installer works.  I will soon
update my web site to recommend the installer.

> FATAL: Error inserting btrfs (/lib/modules/2.6.32-5-kirkwood/kernel/fs/btrfs/btrfs.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
> Turns out, btrfs.ko depends on crc32c.ko, which wasn't included. So I

I'll file a bug about this.

> The second issue I encountered, right after formatting the disk, was
> that it wouldn't let me proceed with no boot partition (I had only swap
> and a big btrfs root partition). From what I understand, since the
> kernel and initrd are in flash, there's no need for a separate boot
> partition. So I created one anyway, but if someone can confirm I don't
> need it, I'll remove it.

You're correct that there's no need for a separate /boot partition.
This error is produced by partman-btrfs's check.d/no_btrfs_boot
script.  I suggest you file a bug on the partman-btrfs package about
this issue.

--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/