Re: Debian Install on MyBook World (White Light Edition)

On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@cyrius.com> wrote:
* Alexander Tsvetkov <egalitarian@gmail.com> [2010-07-23 12:42]:
> I'm trying to get Debian working on my NAS which is a WD MyBook World (White
> Light Edition). A similar project was already done for the first version of
> MyBook World based on the  OXE800 chipset

Do you have a link?

That's the link:
http://www.ismprofessional.net/pascucci/documenti/mybook/mybook-hacking-en.html

> but the second version is based on the OXE810 chipset so it's not
> compatible. My Linux experience is not great but I'm willing to
> learn and experiment and frankly said I don't know where to start.
> So can you help me with the basic steps to get this project started.

In order to add official support in Debian for this device, you'd have
to get OXE810 support into the mainline kernel.  However, you can
install Debian with your own custom kernel, see
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Arm/OtherPlatforms for some
information.
--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/

Thanks for the link I'll read it and I'll see what I can do.

BTW Western Digital did published their sources here: http://download.wdc.com/gpl/WD-MyBookWorld-v1.01.16.tar.gz
Inside there are also kernel patches, toolchain and other stuff. May be these will be useful.

Thanks,
Alexander Tsvetkov