Re: Multiarch and ABI support

Hi,

2010/7/19 Konstantinos Margaritis <markos@genesi-usa.com>:
>> I can't see a use case to run 'armel' binaries on 'armhf' rootfs if
>> hardware supports it and software is free.
>
> From a hardware point of view, if it can run armhf it will certainly be able
> to run armel. A developer would be able to provide both package versions form
> the same machine -which is what I do right now, development on armhf happens
> on just a chroot right now but it could be the other way around, there is
> nothing in the kernel that requires special treatment.

But the question is why would you run 'armel' binaries on 'armhf'
architecture (outside a chroot - within multiarch qualified paths) as
a user (not developing or building for 'armel'), which is the use case
of being able to run 'armel' binaries if you already have 'armhf'.

Of course as a developer, you safely work inside chroots/cross chroots/sysroots.

Cheers,
--
 Héctor Orón