Re: CT-PC89E - samsung 8.9in arm netbook - debian lenny successfully installed

+++ Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton [2010-03-01 14:19 +0000]:
> On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 12:42 PM, Wookey <wookey@wookware.org> wrote:
> > +++ Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton [2010-02-26 23:34 +0000]:
> >> ok, i have successfully installed debian/lenny with various things
> >> removed such as a ton of locale files and /usr/share/doc.  some say
> >> that it is wiser to use emdebian but i say nuts, i'm in a hurry, and
> >> i'm happy with "actual" debian :)
> >
> > emdebian (grip) _is_ actual debian with /usr/share/doc removed and
> > locales split out. The other files and binaries are identical. People
> > are right to tell you that it's probably what you wanted :-)
>
>  ah.. ah... oh dear! :)  *lol*.  hmm... then ... given that that
> worked / would work, perhaps my efforts in demo'ing this should be
> focussed on putting emdebian-squeeze on.  hmm, noo, i do have to do
> both (or all three) so as to give people a starting point.

Not quite sure what you are trying to say there, but emdebian-squeeze
is Debian using busybox instead of gnu coreutils, and with dependency
changes to make for smaller packages and thus is much more broken and
much harder to maintain/install. It was done for lenny-arm but not for
armel and further releases are on hold whilst we get more relevant
stuff into Debian so that the maintainence burden is not completely
crazy.

However using grip is dead easy: you can switch from Debian to
emdebian-grip by simply changing your apt-sources to point at grip
deb http://www.emdebian.org/grip/ lenny main
or
deb http://www.emdebian.org/grip/ sid main

and aptitude update/upgrade at which point it will replace all your
debian packages with emdebian packages, shrinking the footprint and
package-lists accordingly. Packages which only exist in Debian, not
emdebian continue to work (but if you keep apt pointers to debian
repositories then you retain the cost of the huge package metadata
footprint).  We could hardly make it any easier :-)

Wookey
--
Principal hats:  iEndian - Balloonboard - Toby Churchill - Emdebian
http://wookware.org/