Re: Better an USB-Stick or 2.5"-HD?

On Wednesday 22 October 2008 19:24:08 Glockenstein wrote:
> Hello,
> for testing I have used an 3.5"-HD, but if lenny becomes stable,
> I will use a device which consumes less energy.
> I would prefer a USB-Stick, but what I read about wear levelling
> I do not really understand.

The problem with USB-sticks is that they implement wear leveling in their
hardware for you, as they show a block layer over usb, and you have no way of
knowing wether this wear leveling is implemented in a decent way for a
particular usb stick. With solid state disks you at least know that they are
intented for this kind of abuse, but the problem remains...

I found the "Raw flash vs FTL devices" chapter at the following location quite
enlightening:

http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/doc/ubifs.html

Joost

--