N2100 running debian will not boot after upgrade

Hi,

Hardware: Thecus N2100, 512 Mb ram, disk 500 Gb running debian etch, ext3.
Yesterday i did a   "apt-get update"  and a "apt-get upgrade". The
kernel was updated from 2.{something}-etch2 to 2.{something}-etch3 and
now it will not boot.
I have mounted the disc in a usb adapter on my opensuse pc, so I have
access to the data. I have fsck'ed, but still no luck.
How can i recover my box ?
Do I have to reinstall it all and all the applications ?

--
Med venlig hilsen / best regards
Bengt Bolinder