Re: Debian lenny on the QNAP TS-209 II

On Sep 27, 2008, at 1:05 AM, Frans Pop wrote:

Morten O. Hansen wrote:
And it told me to reboot. After i did this, nothing more really
happend. The status icon is blinking, which is (according to the
manual):
Blink in green: Hard disk not detected; Hard disk not initialized.

Not sure exactly where you got that from, but AFAIK that's not what
blinking green means at all, at least not when running the installer.
If you're referring to the manualfrom QNAP, then you'd probably do best to bury that at the bottom of some random stack of papers: it's essentially
useless as soon as you're not running their software anymore.

Yeah, i got it from the manual at the QNAP site.

You don't mention which installation method you use, but from your
comments I'd guess the "Starting the Installer on an Uninitialized
System" method.

Actually, I used the initialized system method, since I already tested the disks with the default setup from QNAP.

So basically, the hard disk is not used at all in this early stage and
nothing is flashed yet by the installer. The problem is most likely to be in the network setup here. Could it be some problem with your DCHP server
config (if you have one)?

Hm, interesting. Well, like I said I had already setup the device using the QNAP MacWizzard, and set the ip to 192.168.1.4, according to the guide this would also be used on the device after the system was flashed. I have a fully working DHCP server on the network (I used it with the device before i setup static network). I also tried 192.168.1.100 which the guide says the network would default to in case it cant reach the DHCP.

The lan led does actually blink occasionally, so it seems like its trying to do something, but the light never stops blinking green. (i left it on for a couple of hours, so im pretty sure nothing more will happen).

A serial console will show you what the installer is doing during those
early stages.

Yeah, I ordering one from ebay now, but it will take a couple of weeks before i get it, so any more tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Morten