hard drive connected to the slug

Hello,
some weeks ago I reported an error where my drive makes strange sounds like
spinning up in 6 or 7 sequences, then noise, then spinning up again and the
slug did respond anymore for login. Because nobody replied, I thought it was
a one time accident, but three days before it happended again :-(
So now I think about a solution the slug running all the time instead of shut it down
in the evening and wake up in the morning. I have connected a 3.5" hd to port 1
with an external power supply in the moment. But this is power consuming too much.
Is it possible to have a 2.5" notebook hd without external power supply connected
to the slug and the usb port spends enough energy for that drive?
Regards Michael