Re: Slight hiccup for etch users with the new linux-image-2.6.24-etchnhalf

Hi John,

thanks for your bugreport.

Full quote for the benefit of the etchnhalf mailinglist:

On Friday 15 August 2008 16:37, John Winters wrote:
> I put the new etch-and-a-half kernel on my N2100 today to cure its
> slight NFS problems.  All seemed well at first until I realised that it
> was no longer functioning as a router.
>
> After a bit of research I discovered the problem.  There's an
> outstanding bug in procps in etch (fixed in lenny) which doesn't
> manifest itself as long as you're running 2.6.18 but does once you
> switch to 2.6.24.
>
> To fix it, edit /etc/sysctl.conf and change:
>
> net.ipv4.conf.default.forwarding=1

> net.ipv4.ip_forward=1
>
> I mention it just to save anyone else from having to do the same research.

As I see it, there are two ways to solve this: a.) create a procps-etchnhalf
package (IMHO ugly and not really saving us from b anyway) or b.) document
this in http://www.debian.org/releases/etch/etchnhalf

Or is the above report bogus? I havent confirmed it, but then I don't have a
reason to disbelieve it neither.

regards,
	Holger