Re: Disabling support for some IXP4xx machines

Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> The ixp4xx kernel is getting a bit big, so I'd like to disable some
> machines we don't care about.  Which do you want me to keep?  NSLU2,
> NAS100D, FSG, DSMG600.  Anything else?
>
> Currently the config is:
[snip]

What is the size of the kernel with that .config, versus some other?

Kernels as recent as vmlinuz-2.6.25-2-ixp4xx (1365048 bytes) still use
gzip.  Changing to upx/nrv with filtering of relative subroutine call
instructions would save an additional 10% in size, and would boot faster.
Changing to lzma with filtering would save an additional 20% in size,
at the cost of a couple seconds longer boot.  Consult the archives of
[nslu2-developer] in June and July 2006 (2 years ago) for topics UPX
and lzma, and see  http://bitwagon.com/LzmaFlow/LzmaFlow.html .