Re: "offline" install of Etch to SATA HDDs for MyBook World?

Jonsen, Dan schrieb:
no way of storing NTFS ACLs (unless Samba is more sophisticated than I
think);

Yes, samba does understand ACLs, if the underlying filesystem does. I've
done this once on a Gentoo box: The only thing that had to be changed
there was a kernel option for ACL support in the filesystem, and a mount
option. In your case, you might want to make sure the samba/unix user
mapping is really the way you want it to be.

2: Ext3 can be mounted with the option "acl" and then it does understand
ACLs if the kernel was compiled with CONFIG_EXT3_FS_POSIX_ACL enabled.

I have not much clue about the time granularity but have heard that it
will be even more precise in ext4. I thougt that ext3 was already much
more precise that NT, but might be wrong there.

3: That applies to most NASs in that price range. I wouldn't overclock
that MyBook if it's not well tested and within the hardware
specifications. (such as the NSLU2) If you need a fast NAS, than you
might want to read some of the reviews before buying.

Sorry to disappoint you about the speed of the NSLU2: It doesn't do
better than about 3 MBytes/s, even when it is de-underclocked from 133
to 266 MHz.

cheers
--
Kevin Price