Re: HP mv2120 support in Orion tree

Marc Singer wrote:

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 10:45:37PM +0300, Eugene San wrote:

Martin: Thank you for answering my question.

To create install image we need uImage, uInitrd and mkimage
a) uImage can be provided by make uImage in kernel source tree or by
converting regular image with: |mkimage -A arm -O linux -T kernel -C
none -a 0x80000 -e 0x80000 -n "Linux 2.6" -d linux.bin uImage.bin |
   ( http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/LinuxConfiguration#Section_6.2 )
b) uInitr can be created from regular inird by: "mkimage -T ramdisk -C
none -n 'Test Ramdisk Image -d ramdisk.img.gz uRamdisk"
   ( http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/RootFileSystemOnARamdisk )
c) mkimage is available as package in SID,
http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=uboot-mkimage
Final combined image (recovery.img), that may be uploaded and executed
on device using original recovery utility, is just two files glued
together.
uImage must be padded to 2M and uInitrd to 8M and maybe compressed by
replacing "-C none" with "-C gzip".

If you need more help, I'll be glad to assist.

Are you sure the ramdisk must be padded to 8MiB?  Is the full image
size supposed to be 10MiB, 2 + 8?

uImage must be at 0x0 and uInitrd must be at 0x200000 since uBoot expects them to be there.
uInitrd size is limited to 8Mb in original first stage image, probably by in Kernel ramdisk size. Bigger image may work, need to be tested.
In case that will not work for us, we still can use second stage image, which maybe much bigger.