From: Gordon Farquharson [mailto:gordonfarquharson@gmail.com]
Sent: 25 March 2008 00:29
To: narrucmot@gmail.com
Cc: debian-arm@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: is upgrade to 2.6.18-6-ixp4xx safe?

Hi Tom

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 5:24 PM, Tom Curran <narrucmot@gmail.com> wrote:
> I ran 'apt-get dist-upgrade' on my Debian Slug today for the first time
>  in a while just to see if there is an upgrade available and it wants to
>  upgrade from my 2.6.18-5 kernel to 2.6.18-6.  Is the 2.6.28-6-ixp4xx
>  kernel a safe upgrade?  I seem to remember some talk a while back about
>  a broken ethernet driver disabling a slug after a kernel upgrade.  I am
>  trying to avoid that aweful fate.  Any feedback or answers is welcome.

2.6.28-6-ixp4xx should be fine (I haven't had any problems). If you
want, you can always backup the flash with

> sudo cat /dev/mtdblock* > backup.img

and then copy this flash to your PC. If anything goes wrong with the
upgrade, you can then use upslug2 [1] to reflash the NSLU2 the image
stored in backup.img. To do this, you would

1. Put the NSLU2 into upgrade mode [2].
2. On the PC run 'upslug2 -i backup.img'

[1] http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/UpSlug2
[2]
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseTheResetButtonToEnterUpgradeMode

I hope that this helps.