armel repository news

Hi
   armel packages are now migrating to "testing", so anyone using the
EABI port should add
a line to /etc/apt/sources.list
    deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian lenny main
and you probably want to keep
    deb http://ftp.debian-ports.org/debian unstable main
    deb http://ftp.debian-ports.org/debian unreleased main
too, until the main repository catches up with the extra packages that
those repositories have.

I've also created a "trivial repository" of the 45 armel packages that
I've built but which are not present in lenny or sid or debian-ports,
some because they were build dependencies I had to make to compile
other things, others that had never been tried on armel and some that
are the successful outcome of test builds when simply adding "armel"
to the Architectures lines. That can be accessed by adding
   deb http://simplemachines.it/debian armel-sid/
and there is also an html index of the available packages under that URL

Special thanks to SimpleMachines for hosting this.

I've now completed systematic checks for packages that were not
enabled in debian/control (or similar) for armel but should have been,
including the "not listed in Packages:/Architectures: lines" problem,
and there are now bug reports filed for all of them.
All the armel-problematic source packages that I know about now have a
paragraph in wiki.debian.org/ArmEabiProblems giving a first analysis
of the problem together with their relative importance due to other
things depending on them.

Getting the armel port into shape now consists of two waiting games
and one action:
- waiting until all packages already known to work have been built and
included in the main archive
- waiting until new versions are uploaded in response to the bug
reports (all pending ones are also listed in the Problems page)
- fixing the package-specific problems listed.

My own time on this project is limited, but I can provide access to
armel hardware for anyone wishing to help with the last of these
three.

Bless

---
"We know that all human learning occurs between the ages of eight and
eighteen because at eight we have all the questions and at eighteen we
have all the answers."